The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Every time I see that line on the Coupé, ooft!!!
(10-05-2024, 08:43 AM)Duncan Grimmond Wrote: Every time I see that line on the Coupé, ooft!!!

Wait till you've seen it for real Duncan.
Had a lot of fun at VSCC Wiscombe Park on Sunday, despite the nearly 6 hours travel each way from Suffolk
Damian GT took this video that made me look vaguely competent

Wiscombe 2024.mp4
Yesterday we took Jane to see the buttercups on Beverly Westwood.

Attached Files
.jpg   20240513_140059.jpg (Size: 299.97 KB / Downloads: 375)
Hi All

End of day one of the re-enactment of the 1924 RAC Small Car Trial organised by forumista Steven Kay.

Nine cars met by Llandrindod lake, unfortunately only one Seven (our Special) but three Morgans, a Riley, a Jowett special, two MGs and a more recent Jaguar.  None would have been recognisable to the 1924 organisers.

Steven had plotted a route very close to the one used in 1924 which included the infamous Bwlch y Groes which rises from Dinas Mawddwy to arrive at Lake Tegid (Bala to most). 

We left about 11 and Liz and I got sandwiched between two rather quick Morgans (4 wheel variety) which made keeping up exciting! We made the pass, lunched in Bala and got a way back towards Llandod but I’m ashamed to say we chickened out of the exact 1924 route to arrive home near six o’Clock. 170 miles in seven hours (with a convivial lunch stop).

A highlight of the day was meeting another formidable forumista, David Stepney, who came up the pass to greet us and joined us for lunch. So nice to put faces to names on the forum.

Liz has loads of photos but here is just one of us at the top of Bwlch y Groes.

Cheers

Howard

PS Brecon, Senni hill and Penau etc tomorrow if we can face it!

Attached Files
.jpeg   IMG_4171.jpeg (Size: 111.57 KB / Downloads: 269)
Having had an accident with the modern last week, and the Landrover in a thousand pieces having it’s gearbox and rear axle sorted, the Seven has, once again, been pressed into service as the daily driver. Added to these complications is the fact that one of the dogs has come into season and requires being kept in purdah. In consequence, I was unable to go on the first half of the 1924 Trial re-enactment as originally intended.

However, today, whilst out shopping at about lunchtime (a poor substitute), I thought I would take a wander up Bwlch-y-Groes to see if any of the Trial participants had got that far. I was well rewarded, meeting a couple of Morgan’s, and MGs, a Jowett special and Howard’s Brooklands Austin 7 special just setting off for Bala. Having spent about 15 or 20 minutes chatting to a friend of Steve Kay who introduced himself as Malcolm, and his wife, I joined the merry throng at the “White Lion” in Bala. It was good to meet such a band of interesting enthusiasts and especially Steve and Howard. It is so nice to be able to put names to faces of the people who, though long correspondence within these annals, on feels one knows well.

A thoroughly enjoyable afternoon.
Hi David

Thought you might like this photo of us meeting on the Bwlch y Groes?

Cheers

Howard

Attached Files
.jpeg   IMG_4765.jpeg (Size: 111.43 KB / Downloads: 194)
Super! Thank you Howard.
Howard, a more considered response in due course, but what a brilliant photo of cars passing on Bwlch y Groes. Bravo!

Exactly a hundred years since the Small Car Trial, celebrated by heroes, driving some splendid machines.  The forum has seen learned discussion of why Gunnar Poppe had to withdraw, there can be no certainty. Longbridge was well represented by Seven owners. However, due to various mechanical and electrical reasons, only Editor Howard actually entered a Seven. Messrs Bromley, Kay and Adeney have Chummies, David Filsell, on the right, has a Ruby. Howard's Special scampered across the mountains, and slowed adequately going down. At Bala, we were joined by David Stepney, well known to forum readers. Don't believe his forum title, he is charming. Outside the pub, David is about to depart. The F4 Morgan is the "modern" car of a Seven owner. The owner of the Riley does not own any Sevens.